Due to the increased interest on Staten Island for Self Direction, Lifestyles for the Disabled is now offering Fiscal Intermediary (FI) services to individuals and their families. Self-Direction is the practice of empowering people with developmental disabilities to manage the supports and services they receive, determine who provides the supports/services, and how and where they are provided. For those looking to Self-Direct, Lifestyles can help you get started.
Lifestyles, as the Fiscal Intermediary, would support you, the individual, or your representative in fulfilling their budget. Duties of the Fiscal Intermediary include:
- a review of your budget before submission to state
- reimbursement or payment to the vendor directly for items in the budget after ensuring compliance with Medicaid or the state
- functioning as Employer of Record for any self-hired staff:
- run OPWDD background checks on any new staff
- provide payroll service for self-hired staff including tax and other wage withholdings
- ensure applicable labor laws (including those related to minimum wage and overtime) are followed
- provide OPWDD required trainings
- tracking expenditures versus budget
- providing monthly report of expenses
Although this is a new service offered by Lifestyles of the Disabled, Lifestyles has been working with and caring for the developmentally disabled since 1994, for over 25 years.
The mission of Lifestyles has always been to provide quality learning experiences that enable all individuals, regardless of their abilities, to become productive and active members of the community, to be able to live their lives as independently as possible, and to live with dignity. At Lifestyles, we focus on the abilities of the individual, rather than their disability. This allows us to assist each individual in achieving their own person-centered outcomes in a positive environment.
Our staff is dedicated to having each individual grow to their fullest level of independence through the many services and supports we offer as an agency.
This is just another step that Lifestyles is taking towards providing quality service for the developmentally disabled population.
For more information and a campus visit and tour, please contact the Intake Department at 718-983-5351 ext. 258.